Lighting plays a crucial role in any interior design scheme, be it a home, a hotel or a restaurant. Light not only illuminates spaces, but it sets the mood and creates atmosphere. Among the many lighting options available, the bell lantern has become an iconic piece of decorative lighting, loved by designers and homeowners alike. In this article, we will delve deeper into the world of bell lanterns, exploring their history, styles and decorating tips.
What is a Bell Lantern?
Bell lanterns are named so because of their shape, which is reminiscent of a bell. They are a type of pendant light, which are suspended from the ceiling on a chain, string or rod. Bell lanterns can be made of various materials, including glass, metal, and fabric, and they come in different sizes and styles, from traditional to modern.
The History of Bell Lanterns
Bell lanterns have been around for centuries, and their origin can be traced back to Medieval times when lighting was largely provided by candles and oil lamps. Bell lanterns were originally made of wrought iron or brass and were used in churches and grand homes. They were designed to protect the candles or oil lamps from drafts and to prevent the flame from extinguishing.
Bell Lantern Styles
Over the years, bell lanterns have evolved and have become a popular decorative lighting option. There are many styles available, from traditional to modern, so there is something for everyone. Here are some of the most popular bell lantern styles:
– Traditional: This style is inspired by the lanterns of the past and is characterised by its use of wrought iron, brass or bronze materials.
– Rustic: This style incorporates natural elements, such as wood or rattan, into the design of the lantern.
– Modern: This style is sleek and streamlined and often features clean lines and geometric shapes.
– Industrial: This style is influenced by the factories and warehouses of the Industrial Revolution and is characterised by its use of metal and exposed bulbs.
Decorating with Bell Lanterns
Bell lanterns are a versatile lighting option and can be used in a variety of ways to enhance your decor. Here are some decorating tips:
– Hang a bell lantern in a foyer or entryway to create a welcoming atmosphere.
– Use a cluster of bell lanterns over a dining table to create a focal point and add drama.
– Hang a bell lantern in a bedroom for a romantic and cosy ambiance.
– Use a bell lantern in a bathroom for a spa-like feel.
Bell lanterns are an iconic piece of decorative lighting that can add character to any space. From their humble beginnings as candles and oil lamp protectors, they have evolved into a versatile decor element with many styles available to suit any taste. Whether you prefer traditional or modern, there is a bell lantern that will suit your style. So why not add a touch of elegance and charm to your home with a bell lantern?